Saturday, August 27, 2011

Mainahs, gotta love 'em!


Get it together Beth!
This morning at work I listened to Scott Simon talking with the Maine women who just swam the English Channel at age 60. (Scott Simon is host and journalist for Weekend Edition. He is brilliant.) This was the women's third attempt. She chatted with Scott about her experience. She had a great Maine accent and when she started to talk about why she swims I started to loose it, a little bit. (That's how Mainers say I was crying like a baby.)
She said that her son encouraged her to swim by saying "mom you can do anything you want to". I don't know why, but something about her sons confidence in her mingled with her Maine accent when she said "Pohtlind" sent me off.
Four minutes before I am to go on air and do a newscast and I am in the radio booth blowing my nose like a fool and desperetly trying to pull it together.
"I just love Maine," I slobbered.

I managed to clean up before the newscast but I sounded a little fragile for sure.

I am really overtired.
We just spent our second night in our new home and moving is brutal.

Ok...and I might miss Maine which equals my family because Maine is Family.

Check out the 60 year-old Mainah here.

No comments:

Post a Comment