Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Truth

This post is in response to a friends comment about Williams cooking mess. She said "wow Bethie you seem so calm about his mess".
The truth: I was on the phone with At&t, whom I despise, arguing about a mistake on my $245 cell phone bill. I put a movie, "Dennis the Menace" (I know, it was a foreshadowing) on for William while I talked on the phone in the office with the door open. I never heard anything, probably because of my...heated voice. I realized that some time had passed and so went to check on William. I stepped into the living room only to behold
an entire bag of flour
one bag of white sugar
two cans of cocoa
one bag of brown rice
one box of spaghetti
one dozen eggs cracked and separated
and one entire bottle of balsamic vinger
poured on my brand new couch, coffee table and pottery barn rug.
"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, William what have you done? I cant talk to you anymore. Because of you my son has made a mess. This is not over I will call back and when I do I want to talk to someone more intelligent than YOU!" I yelled at the at&t guy.
Then I started to cry. I scared William with my crying and he began to cry. I thought about spanking him. Then I realized that would just make me feel much worse so I took William by the hand and put him in his room. Of course he came right out. I marched to the tool closet, found a screwdriver and reversed the door handle on his door and then locked my 2 1/2 year old in his room whereupon he began to wail.
I sat on my clean love seat and balled some more while I admired my sons handiwork. I couldn't think of anything to do so I called Tyler. I was crying pretty hard so all I got out was, "I'm having a mental breakdown, I locked our son in his room". Poor Tyler who deals with crazy people all day hung up the phone immediately and rushed home believing that I had really gone nuts! Poor guy.
I got William out of his room after less than 5 minutes when I had stopped sobbing. We cuddled together as I tried to calm him down. I tried to call Tyler back and tell him not to come home but he didn't answer.
I looked at William and told him that Daddy was going to come home and see what he had done. He looked at me with those sad teary baby blues and whispered, "Mumma, lets get the vacuum". I started to laugh. Tyler came home relieved that we were both alive. When he saw the mess he understood my call. When he asked William what he had done, he said, "I was makin dinnah".
My mom thinks I might be stifling Williams creative energy by not allowing him to cook anymore. "He could be the next Emeril or the next naked chef," she says. Oh well. he will just have to settle for being a janitor or something because there is no more cooking in Williams future, atleast not until I get my new couch cushions that are on order.

4 comments:

  1. Wow!! You handled that better than I would have. When I saw your first post I thought you were handling it really well. I am glad you posted the whole story. It made me laugh and be thankful it wasn't me. The scary thing is I could totally see that happening at my house as well. Good luck with William in the future. He is very creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH! I would have sat down and cried too. On your new couch! I can't fathom that. I giggled a little when I read that Tyler came rushing home thinking you had went mental!

    So I loved opening up the card you sent me and I laughed and laughed. When Brig got home and I had the card sitting up on the book shelf, he looked at it and said, "DENIEEEEESE, What is this?" Then I showed him what you had written on the envelope and he laughed. Can I just hop on a plane and come and see you? Oh I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so you have to know that I audibly gasped in school when I saw the pictures. I had six students in class at the time and they all said, "What is it?!? I said, "You've got to come look at this." They came over and one of them asked, "Did Colin do that?" I snorted and said, "Uh, no, not yet. That would be my nephew William." Their reply, "Is he so dead?" I had to laugh--typical fifth grader response. Beth I do admire how you handled it ESPECIALLY because they are brand new couches! You're a good mama!! Loves, Stace, Greg and Colin

    ReplyDelete